what we need:
- Grill, charcoal or gas
- Pair of sturdy tongs
- Plate or Bowl
- Pack of hot dogs
- Bun (Optional)
- Condiments or toppings like mustard or relish (Optional)
1. Turn on the heat source of your grill. If using a gas grill, turn on the gas flow with the valve on the gas tank, then preheat the grill for 1-2 minutes. If you are using a charcoal grill, get those charcoals burning. See How to Grill for more information on how to get a fire going on a charcoal grill.
2. If you are using a gas grill, after 1-2 minutes of preheating, set the grill to low setting. Hot dogs are best grilled on a low heat setting, or else they will burn too quickly.
3. Once you've got a nice fire going, it's time to add those franks! Use a pair of tongs to place your hot dogs on the grill. (Perpendicular to the grating if you want to have grill lines on your dogs!)
4. Check on your hot dogs every 1-2 minutes, and turn them every 2 minutes to make sure each side is cooked well.
5. When your hot dogs are a nice red or orange color on both sides with nice black grill lines, your hot dogs are ready. Use the tongs to pick them up and lay them on a plate or in a bowl.
6. Once you are done grilling, turn off your grill, or put out the fire. If using a gas grill, turn the valve on your gas tank the opposite direction you turned it to get the gas flowing. You don't want a gas leak, do you?
7. (Optional)No hot dog is complete without a bun! Gently open your bun without tearing in 2 pieces and place your frank inside. Place condiments such as mustard, ketchup, or relish on your dog if needed.
8. Enjoy your hot dogs!.